THIS HOLIDAY SEASON, in addition to the Christmas tree - try a shrub - well a shrubb is the correct name for this drink is spelled.
This drink from Martinique is easy to make at home and also will work as a toddy for ticklish throats. (And if you have a taste for Grand Marnier or Cointreau, you're gonna love it.) The very potent drink (second in popularity only to ti punch - and that's another story) is a blend of the island's famous rhum agricole (which is made with suger-cane juice instead of molasses), and tangy citrus peels and sweetened with cane sugar.
4 cups white rhum agricole (try Dillon or Clement; totalwine.com)
2 whole orange peels
2 cups simple syrup
1 vanilla pod
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Add orange peel to rum, and leave to stand at room temperature for four days.
- Remove orange peel, add vanilla and cinnamon.
- Let stand for three days.
- Strain through a fine sieve.
- Enjoy as you would a liqueur: neat or over ice.